373 people found this article helpful
Stacy is a freelancer with over 18 years experience writing about technology and personal finance. She has published hundreds of articles and co-authored a book.
Updated on January 02, 2020
Are you using the number 1 website in the world? Check out this list of the most visited websites in 2020 to see how many you recognize. Maybe you’ll find a new favorite website.
This list of the most visited websites probably includes ones you’ve heard of, but a few might surprise you. Most of these popular websites are on this list year after year as they prove to be the best websites around for what they offer.
Adrian Mangel / Lifewire
This list of the most visited websites was created based on the total traffic and unique visitor information maintained by Alexa, the statistics and analytics service.
Google is the world’s most popular search engine. Billions of people generate billion of searches every single day, and it’s not just for search—Google also offers a huge variety of peripheral services.
In 2020, Google.com is the number 1 most popular website in both the global market and in the U.S.
- Google 101: A basic overview of Google Search. Learn what makes the Google search engine the top visited site, some of Google’s more popular features, and how you can use Google to search the web.
- Best Google Search Tricks: Google may very well be the top website, but most people don’t realize how powerful their searches can really be with just a few simple tweaks.
- Fun Things You Can Do With Google Search: Google Search isn’t just a simple text box that helps you find web pages. Learn all the other things Google Search is good for.
You’ve probably watched a video on YouTube this week, as did plenty of other people. YouTube is the most popular video website on the web, will billions of videos being watched every single day.
Youtube.com is the second most popular website in both the global market and in the U.S. for 2020, even though a huge portion of YouTube views are from outside the U.S.
- What Is YouTube?: Learn more about this hub of entertainment and how to use it. It works by hosting videos uploaded by individual, groups, and businesses.
- How to Make a YouTube Channel: It’s easy to make your own YouTube channel so that you can share your video content on the web. Learn how to take advantage of this far-reaching influencer.
- What to Watch on YouTube: YouTube is vast and expands every day, so finding what you want to watch isn’t always easy. Here’s information on how to locate content that matches your interests (there are even free movies on YouTube).
- YouTube TV: What You Need to Know: YouTube is also an online streaming service that subscribers use to watch live television on their computers, phones and other electronic devices.
TMall is an online retail site in China. It’s a spin-off of the Taobao site, which is operated by the Alibaba Group. As the world’s second-largest ecommerce website, TMall has more than 500 million monthly active users.
TMall ranks number 3 globally and is the most popular site in China in 2020. U.S. visitors account for a tiny percentage of TMall visitors.
Facebook is the most popular social media site on the web. More than 2 billion active users access Facebook daily across the globe to communicate with family and friends.
As of 2020, Facebook.com is the number 4 most popular website in the global market and in the U.S.
- Facebook 101: How Facebook began and the features you can expect out of the social media giant.
- How to Use Facebook: If you don’t know what a timeline or a status on Facebook is, you can pick up the lingo here and expand what you can do on the social network.
- How to Use Facebook to Find People: Because Facebook is the most extensive social networking site on the web, it’s a powerful tool for finding people online. Learn more about using Facebook to search for old friends, classmates, or family members.
With a 70 percent search market share, Baidu is the largest Chinese-language search engine and is used by millions of people every day. The estimate is that 90 percent of China uses Baidu as a search engine.
Much like Google, Baidu offers companion sites including an alternative to AdWords, Translate, and Maps.
Baidu is the number 5 most popular website globally and the second most visited site in China. Only 1 percent of Baidu visitors are from the U.S.
QQ, also called Tencent QQ, is a Chinese web portal for all sorts of things, like an instant messaging service, music, shopping, blogging, and more.
QQ.com holds the Guinness World Record for the highest number of simultaneous online users on an instant messaging program with just over 210 million users. Active monthly users exceed 800 million.
QQ.com is ranked number 6 on the global list of the top 10 most popular websites and number 3 in China. U.S. users amount to less than 2 percent of traffic.
Another Chinese website, Sohu.com offers things like a search engine, news, gaming, email, and advertising.
Sohu.com is ranked the 7th most visited website in the world, and sits at number 4 in China.
Taobao is an online shopping website in China. It offers clothing and electronics for all ages, and users can buy or sell on the site. Taobao is the world’s largest e-commerce website, and has more than one billion product listings.
In 2017, Taobao.com and Tmall.com together had a transaction volume so high that it outperformed all ecommerce sites and retailers in the U.S.
Taobao is ranked number 8 globally and number 6 in China. U.S. users account for around 1.5 percent of the site’s total traffic.
Yahoo is a web portal and search engine. It offers mail, news, maps, videos and many other web services. Yahoo doesn’t hand out its statistics freely, but a recent estimate put the number of visitors per month at about 1 billion.
Yahoo ranks at number 9 globally and number 5 in the U.S. 2020 list of the most popular websites.
- Yahoo 101: Everything you need to know about Yahoo, including all that the company offers, how to search on Yahoo, and Yahoo services that no longer exist.
- What Does Yahoo Stand For?: Yahoo isn’t just a name; it’s actually short for something else.
360.cn is a website that belongs to the Chinese internet security company Qihoo 360. It offers antivirus software, a web browser, system tools, online games, a mobile app store, and more.
360.cn is the 10th most visited site in the world and ranks as the 7th most popular website in China.